What is AdBlue®
What is AdBlue®?
- AdBlue® is a high quality urea solution that is easy to use
- AdBlue® is the VDA registered trademark for AUS 32 an Aqueous Urea Solution 32.5% that is used with SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) technology to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides from diesel vehicles.
- AdBlue® is a 32.5% solution of high-purity urea in de-mineralized water that is clear, non-toxic and safe to handle and is not harmful to the environment.
- AdBlue® is neither a fuel nor a fuel additive and has its own dedicated tank.
- Any spillages of AdBlue® should be washed away with water.
To prevent contamination, it is essential that foreign materials do not come into contact with the solution.
Using contaminated AdBlue® can damage the SCR system and catalyst.
The AdBlue® trademark is currently owned by the German Association of the Automobile Industry (VDA), who ensure quality standards are maintained in accordance with ISO 22241 specifications.
Ensure that you only buy AdBlue® from a manufacturer with the registered trademark (®) on the product label and one who is registered with VDA.
Using CleanAirBlue® AdBlue® guarantees the correct specification required for use with your vehicle or engine.
How much AdBlue® will I use?
Average consumption of AdBlue® in a Euro 6 engine is approximately 4 to 6% of diesel use, so 4 to 6 litres of AdBlue® per 100 litres of fuel burnt.
How should I store AdBlue®?
AdBlue® has a shelf life of a minimum of 1 year if stored in a cool and dry location and away from direct sunlight.
The ambient temperature affects shelf life.
- Clear and odourless liquid classified as non-toxic and safe to handle
- SG (specific gravity) is 1.09 typical
- Recommended shelf life is 12 months
- Freezing point – 11 °C
- Hydrolysis starts at 30 °C
- Crystallisation upon drying can cause corrosion and spillages should be cleaned using water
- Corrosive to iron, copper, bronze and some aluminium alloys
- Spill Free systems are available and should ALWAYS be used to minimise risk